Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rene Descartes V. Forrest Gump

   I know that it's a stretch to try to compare the a 16th century French philosopher with a movie character from 1996. But let me try anyhow.
   Descartes rocked the world of his time with a statement that only a Frenchman could pull off and still be taken seriously, " I think, therefore I am." But Forrest Gump reportedly said something quite the same, but completely different. In a scene cut from the theatrical release of his movie, Gump told the Norwegian Nobel Prize committee,"  I am, therefore I must think."
  Now, some would say that Gump's statement is that of an ignoramus.But I say that it is as valid as Descartes' statement. And depending on your ambitions or desire to even think at all, may be of even greater importance to you than Descartes. Yes, Socrates did say that an unexamined life is not worth living, but others may feel that  all this navel-gazing is one step away from full blown narcissism.How can that be good?But remember that Socrates died from hemlock poisoning. Forrest is still alive today and living in Greenbow, Alabama cutting his grass. Who would you rather listen to? If I have heard it said once, I have heard it said a thousand times, ignorance is bliss. You Go Forrest !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment