Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's the same, just different

   Sometime I don't feel like a 55 year old man. I love to stand on my toes to see how high I can reach. The same with coasting on my bike without pedaling.  I just want to see how far I can go without stopping. ( Don't even try taking my bike from me !) Or gliding under the water as I swim, holding my breath. I imagine that I belong here. That I can suspend gravity at will .
  But my boyish ways don't translate well to all my life. Thankfully, I am not enthusiastic about setting things on fire just to watch them burn. I am not  interested in chasing ambulances and cop cars, nor do I like watching drunk people light their friends cigarettes. I just can't revel in bearing witness to man's inhumanity to himself. Nor do I enjoy imagining myself as the master of this, or any other universe. It's just not very important to me. So I am not without hope in becoming more of an adult and , ultimately, in being a better human being.
   
    I would rather experience beauty than tragedy. But life is full of surprises. And we don't always choose what channel we get to watch. And God knows that there have been times when I just didn't 'get it.anyhow. As if I were a half-step too slow. But I want to get it. And I hope my curiosity about bicycles and tiptoes translates to things with more purpose and gravity sometime soon. So, in my situation I think it is best to seize the day as I find it, even if it makes no sense to me at the time.
 As my children use to say to me when they were young, "Dad, that is exactly the same as what happened to me, just different."  The same, but different. I think I get it. So from this perspective, I am learning that the difference between Forrest Gump and Rene Descartes may not be as great as what one might assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment